First there was the car scrappage scheme, now a similar scheme for central heating boilers has been mooted. The Boiler Scrappage Scheme would work in a similar way to the car scrappage scheme

The concept of a Boiler Scrappage Scheme was concieved within the industry and clearly homeowners replacing their old boiler with a new appliance will benefit plumbers, boilers manufacturers and suppliers.

But more than that, a householder replacing an old inefficient boiler with a new condensing boiler could save more than £200 a year in gas bills. And replacing some of the millions of old boilers with efficiencies less than 70% would save thousands of tonnes of carbon dioxide emmisions every year.

A Boiler Scrappage Scheme will have all the benefits that the car scrappage scheme does, but with added clout. For example, there is nothing to prevent you replacing your old car with a new gas-guzzler. The Boiler Scrappage Scheme on the other hand would replace old inefficient boilers with new, highly efficient condensing boilers.

The scheme has attracted the support of leading figures with the industry as well as Sian Berry the 2008 Green Mayor of London candidate.

The proposed Boiler Scrappage Scheme really does make sense. You can register your support by signing the petition.

Read more about the scheme here

13 Responses to “Boiler Scrappage Scheme”
  1. Jay says:

Sir, I have a king fisher standing boiler about 15 yrs old, need to replace with a conventional one due to the fact I have a water softer system installed and the water is soften 4 to 5 times a week in a loft storage tank.Can I install the conventional boiler in a store room just out side the kitchen ?
    I shal be grateful for you advice, Many thanks. Jay/

2. Joe Taylor says:

Great idea,keeps costs low and the enviroment cleaner.

3. SINELI CHAPANGARA says:

I do have this old Glow-worm MARJORCA 346N boiler which is proving to be inefficient at all.Please may you let me know what I can do so that I can take advantage of the Scrappage Scheme.
    Hope to hear from you soon.

Many Thanks

Sineli

4. Geoff Chant says:

Ref:Kingfisher boiler this does qualify ,as for softer water ,that should be ok as long as the water in new boiler and radiators is not .Ref :Majorca boiler that is grade G so it would qualify ,the Goverment has not yet informed installers how new scheme will work ,or exact date.

5. Geoff Chant says:

PS as regards installing conventional boiler in store room ,that would be down to the building regulations ,but your Gas Safe registered engineer would be the one to advise

6. m pateman says:

as i am over 60 will i be able to claim the £300 warm front grant & the £400 boiler scrappage My boiler is a glowworm space saver 50 ,28 years old.

7. Neil Bumford says:

Hi, the scheme is sketchy at the minute with details still to be determined. We anticipate this will become more clear in the new year.

8. m pateman says:

Thanks for the imfo Neil. have a nice xmas

9. rosemary nicoll says:

Ihave a back boiler that needs replacing can do this trough this boiler scrappage scheme. Ilive in Scotland could you please let me know thanks. a boiler for me

Rosemary Nicoll

10. john says:

Hi is this scheme open to all gas safe reg engineers or is there a list of ones you have to use in each area to get the money off or back thanks john.

11. Allen says:

good idea. I suggest we could have an even better scrappage scheme that would save everyone tax, and it would “clean up” the environment, ie SCRAP ALL MPS WHO HAVE OVERCLAIMED EXPENSES, ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO HAVE EMPLOYED FAMILY MAMBERS OR FLIPPED HOMES.

12. I am interested in the boiler scrappage scheme to replace my G rated ideal boiler which supplies heat and hot water. At this stage I would like to get a rough idea of the complete installation cost prior to the £400 cash back for a boiler costing in the region of £750.
    F.H.

13. I think the scrappage scheme is great. From what I gather it has been very successful. The Energy Savings Trust has admitted that it can’t keep up with the demand. I think it was launched around 4 weeks ago and over 50,000 people have applied. Apparently British Gas’ offer is the best it give an additional £400 on top and 1 years homecare 200.

14.